Monday, August 19, 2013

Taking on the Thurmanator

The Thurman Cafe
183 Thurman Ave.
Columbus, OH 43206


 

Ohio...

Never thought that I'd live to see the day that I lived in the state of Ohio.

Being surrounded by Cleveland Indians fans and constantly having to explain to indignant Buckeye fans that all because I am from Michigan does not mean that I am a fan of that terrible liberal institution that resides in Ann Arbor, is not exactly what I had in mind as a young Suit.

Alas, here I am, fighting for liberty in yet another state. And, boy, does Ohio need a heavy dose of freedom.

Red light cameras, forced unionism, and a certain governor's desire to expand an already disastrous welfare program is enough to drive any liberty lover mad...

But, I digress...

We are here to talk about the happier things about Ohio, such as good beer and good food. And, boy, did I hit a home run in visiting The Thurman Cafe, a Columbus staple.

Known for their 3/4 pound burgers, this place often has dinner time waits lasting over an hour. In fact, Suit757 once tried to visit this place and had to give up, so I was commissioned with the task of visiting and writing the review.

It didn't take much arm-twisting...

After an early morning of helping a friend get his moving truck loaded, Mrs. Suit317 and I decided to hit up the Thurman Cafe for lunch. I can tell you, for sure, that lunch is a much better time to come to this joint. We had no wait. Immediate seating.

The beer selection was not overwhelming, but good enough. I had Great Lakes' Oktoberfest. It isn't my favorite of their's, but it was still a high quality beer. For anyone who doesn't know, the Great Lakes Brewing Company is based out of Cleveland and it is a high quality company. If you are ever in Ohio and have a high standard for the kind of beer you drink, and are not a "Bud Light only guy", it is a safe bet that you'd like something from Great Lakes. If you are a "Bud Light only guy", get with the program and drink good beer like Great Lakes Brewing.

Sorry, done with that rant.

Having looked at the menu before hand, we already knew what we were going to order.

The Thurmanator.

This burger is a monster.

There is no way that I could have finished this thing on my own, hence why it was a good thing to have Mrs. Suit317 along to help.

Here's the description of the burger: Bottom bun, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickle, banana peppers, 12 ounce burger, bacon, cheddar, another 12 ounce burger, sautéed mushrooms and onions, ham, mozzarella & American cheese, top bun.

Oh, and in case you are still hungry, it comes with fries.

Does it taste as good as it looks?

Most definitely.

The only problem that I had is that my mouth was not big enough to take a full bite out of this burger to get a full blend of all of the flavors. It was definitely a knife and fork kind of meal.

I finished my half, she didn't and now has leftovers for lunch for the next three days.

Although, those leftovers might magically disappear by some other cause...

Thurman Cafe definitely has character and fits right up there at the top of the list of places to eat in Columbus.

Rating: Bought the Shirt!


No comments:

Post a Comment